Friday, June 20, 2008

Cogitation

Pronunciation: \ˌkä-jə-ˈtā-shən\
Function:
noun
Date:
13th century
1 a: the act of cogitating b: the capacity to think or reflect
2: a single thought


Cogitation.......the act of thinking. Something too few of us do these days. Though I will admit, it is often difficult to get some quality thinking done when there is so much going on to provide distractions. From television, to the internet, to a good book, or just quality time with friends and family, all distractions from thinking. Even when you can squeeze in some time for thinking, you end up thinking of things you should be doing, instead of actually just thinking.

I find that one of the best times for thinking, at least for me, is on a smoke break. I'm the only one in the family who smokes, so when I step outside, no one is inclined to join me. Even though it's only a few minutes, you'd be amazed at what can percolate through your head in so short a time. Bits of news clips, fragments of vaguely remembered conversations, a sentence from a book that suddenly takes on new meaning when considered in a different context, the list goes on.

Living in Carolina, I like to think my local influences also influence the manner of my thinking, hence the title of this blog. I don't know if I'll garner a following, or even a few readers, but I intend to share my thoughts on a variety of subjects, from guns, to religion, to politics, to the weather, whatever happens to cross my mind during a bout of cogitation.

Welcome, and enjoy!


Casey

No comments: