Thursday, March 17, 2011

Quick Note



Just a quick note to let you know I'm alive :)

I've settled in here at Bagram, and am working away in the firearms lab. Seeing a lot of interesting stuff come through, especially as pertains to the age of ammunition being used.

Just the other day, we had a case come through where I actually had to go searching and look to figure out what kind of ammunition it was. It turned out to be Short Chamber Boxer-Henry .45 Caliber Rifle cartridges, originally designed for the Martini-Henry rifle. That's Martini-Henry rifle, as in the rifle the British used against the Zulus, way back when. And speaking of way back when, as far as I was able to ascertain, these particular cartridges were manufactured, sometime between 1910 and 1930. Looked like they'd been hanging around here since then too. How often do you see a commercial black powder cartridge, with paper patched lead bullets?

Fun times, and interesting to say the least. Random alerts and running to take cover in concrete bunkers also keeps things interesting as well :)

All in all though, life is pretty easy over here. I think my wife ended up with the short stick, having to go to work, and take care of the house, the kids, and the dogs too.

Anyway, I'm doing good, hope everyone is ok back Stateside.


Take care all!!



Casey

4 comments:

Crucis said...

Thanks for the update, Casey. Good to hear from ya. Keep your head on a swivle---just in case. :-)

Beat And Release said...

I checked into doing something similar to what you are doing. Unfortunately, I read the P.T. test requirements. I gotta tell ya - too many years of smoking too many cigs have all but made me ineligible for that test. :) :(

Casey said...

Hey Beat, I'm not sure what you were looking at, but I didn't have to take a PT test to come over. Had to go through a full physical, just to make sure they weren't sending over someone who was about to drop dead, but that was it.

The two big companies over here handling the Forensics work are BAE Systems, Inc., and Ideal Innovations Inc.

You might check with them and see what they have available. It may be short term, as the Army is supposed to take us over sometime this Fall, but you never know....

Home on the Range said...

Glad you are doing OK. I envy you some of the work you get to do.