Monday, August 4, 2008

Carry Guns



Okay, this is going to be my first foray into 'gun talk', but I have an opinion, and since it's my blog(neener, neener) I'm going to share my opinion :)

I often hear people say that you should carry what ever gun your comfortable with. I often also hear people comment that you should carry the largest caliber gun that you can comfortably conceal/carry. There are also those who will tell you that anything less that a .40 caliber, hi-capacity magazine, semi-automatic pistol is just asking for trouble.

Well, in my not so humble opinion, that's just a bunch of hooey. In my capacity as a certified law enforcement officer, I carry a .40 caliber Glock, and at least one back-up magazine. Agency policy prohibits me from carrying anything else while on duty, to include back-up guns, etc.(I know, idiotic ain't it?) when I'm on duty. That's not to say I don't carry a BUG, just that as far as my superiors are concerned, what you see is what you get.

On my own time, however, is a different story. If I'm out, meaning from going to the store for a loaf of bread, to trips out hunting, whether venison or antiques, I'm always armed. The only exception being if I'm having a drink while I'm out, whether a glass of wine with dinner, a beer with the guys after work, or a scotch on the rocks with a good cigar, guns and alcohol do not mix...ever. Once more for effect:

Guns and Alcohol do not mix.....EVER!!

That being said, and that exception aside, I'm always armed, and have been since before I got into a career in law enforcement. Usually, when I carry concealed, I'm carrying a personally owned gun, of varying calibers. I have my grandfather's old Colt Cobra in .38 special(6 shots). I enjoy carrying my Kel-Tec P3AT in .380 caliber(6+1 shots), and I also like my little .25 caliber Beretta(also 6.1 shots) for it's James Bond nostalgia. When I carry these pistols, I never carry a spare magazine, or speed loader for the revolver.

I also, never feel uncomfortable carrying any of them. I don't feel under gunned at all, even carrying what some would call a 'mouse gun'. The main reason is in addition to being comfortable with each gun, I'm also confident in my ability with each of them. I am a better shot with my .25 caliber Beretta, just point-shooting, than I am with my Glock aiming with the proper site picture. Starting at 10 feet away, I can chase a soda can around the yard with that little Beretta. I'm even better with my Heritage Rough Rider single action .22 LR(my uncle got my grandfather's Single-Six), but it does have a 7-ish inch barrel, which makes it inconvenient for concealed carry, but I often wear it when out in the woods hunting, and don't feel under gunned there either.

The main reason is because I know that I'll hit whatever I'm aiming at with any of those guns. Now I don't claim to be a great shot, or that I can use my .22 to shoot birds on the wing getting only headshots, etc. But I'm a decent shot, and I can put everything into a paper plate a 10 yards or less fairly consistently with any of the mentioned guns. That translates into confidence with each of them. The fact that I live out in the sticks, and can step out into the back yard and pop off a mag or cylinder whenever I get the urge helps too.

I feel as confident when I'm out wearing a pair of shorts with that .25 in my pocket, as I do when I have my duty rig on with the .40 and a spare mag. No matter what you carry, if you're both comfortable with it, and confident that you can hit whatever you're aiming at, or pointing at as the case may be, you're good to go. Seven or eight rounds of .45 ACP fired wildly over your shoulder as you duck for cover, aren't going to be anywhere near as effective as a single .25 auto shot to the face/throat/groin. Everything is about shot placement, and the more comfortable and confident you are with your chosen carry piece, the better your shot placement is going to be.

This has grown into a bit of a ramble, and if you made it to the end, I appreciate your attention. Keep in mind though, this is my own opinion, and as this is the internet, there are a plethora of other opinions out there, some agreeing, some disagreeing, and some so far in left field you wonder how they even got involved in the topic. There are others, much more knowledgeable than myself who offer opinions in much better words than I can(check the blogs I read regularly to the left) but though their offerings often wax poetic, remember, they're not sacrosanct. Coming to your own, reasoned conclusions and opinions is the only way to grow and make your own way in the world. Take the advice of people you respect under consideration, and even allow it to influence your own decisions, but don't blindly accept what anyone tells you without stopping to think about it on your own.

Hmm, I'm getting a little wordy, must be the beer. I'll call it a night, and see if I regret this post tomorrow :)

Take care all,


Casey

No comments: