Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Panther on an Indigo?

Anyone have any experience with this?

I wanted to get an older laptop, to experiment with migrating myself to Macs, and ended up, luckily, with an Indigo clamshell. I've got the wifi, the Firewire, and apparently, the ability to run up to Tiger(OS X 10.4) in my nice little machine. I thought I'd just piddle around with the classic OS 9.1 that came installed on the laptop, however, if I ever get to purchase a newer Mac, which I hope to do within the next year, then I should probably go ahead and start learning OS X, as it's what's coming on new macs.

As I mentioned, I've been able to discover that Tiger(10.4) will run on the Indigo, but am getting the feeling that ti may be a bit too much OS for that 366 processor. I've seen a recommendation that the highest I should go on the Indigo would be OS X 10.3.9. I'm seriously considering it, and am wondering if anyone else had had any experience with using it on a clamshell, before I plunk down the money to purchase a copy.

So, anyone with any advice or information, feel free to point me in your favorite direction.

Casey

1 comment:

Tam said...

FWIW, I'm running Panther on my Key Lime iBooks, which is a G3/466.

My iMac (a G3/400) is running Tiger, but it can be sluggish at some tasks. I don't use it for much other than as a music server or doing basic prep work on photos, so that's not such a big deal.

If it was me, I'd probably stick with Panther unless you've got crazy amounts of RAM in the machine...