Thursday, August 7, 2008

YAY FOR ME!!!!


My Mac iBook clamshell arrived yesterday via UPS. The girls were a bit of a handful, so I've not had a chance to really play with it yet, but it's here!!

I'll have to do some digging to figure out exactly what I have here. I had thought I was getting one of the first generation 'BlueBerries' but think I might actually have gotten an 'Indigo'. If my terminology and thinking is correct anyway. It's a darker blue than I would think for the former, has what appears to be a 366Mhz processor, and a Firewire port. I may be mistaken, but I thought the Firewire ports were on the second generation iBooks.

I may have a little work to do to get it truly mobile as well. The battery appears dead and unchargeable, however I did see mention somewhere of a utility I can download that will reset the battery, and while not making it a brand new battery or anything, would let me get a little unplugged time from it. Of greater concern is that it appears that the CMOS battery is dead as well. When I plugged it in and booted it up for the first time, OS 9.1 came up, and the time and date were set to Midnight, January 1, 1904. That could be a bit of a problem, as I don't know how easy it is to get to the CMOS battery, and the nearest Apple store is hours and hours away. But both of those are things I can work around.

I'm also going to have to go and do some reading on how to use the Mac OS. The last apple computer I used was an Apple IIe way back in 1983, and that was in school, so I'm sure they didn't have the latest greatest machines. As I don't have any wireless networks near the house, I need to figure out how to set up the modem to dial out, and how to get a decent web browser, or at least one that's a little more familiar. There's something called 'Sherlock' on there now, which appears to be a browser, but the interface when I started it up was baffling.

Of course, I do so enjoy learning new things, and can't wait to figure this one out. Hopefully, soon, my blog posts will be done from my new(to me) mac while relaxing at the coffee shop on my lunch break :)


Take care all,

Casey

No comments: